Two things are required in order to access the Clermont General Permission Areas (GPAs):
- QLD Fossicking License
- Clermont GPA Fossicking Kit
1. QLD Fossicking License
QLD Fossicking Licences can be purchased from The Outback Prospector & Clermont Caravan Park. They can also be purchased online - https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/licences-permits/purchase/
2. Clermont Fossicking Kits
Clermont Fossicking Kits can only be purchased from Isaac Regional Council Office, Karmoo Street, Clermont. As part of our efforts to open up more public fossicking areas around Clermont we have stopped processing the kits through the shop and are directing everyone to go to through the local council. This gives prospectors the opportunity to voice their opinions more directly at the council. You can also phone 1300 472 227 to voice your concerns about this issue further.
GPA Maps may be view online here https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/central-gold/
Fossicking kit fees
- 2 days $5.50
- 1 week $11.00
- 1 month $22.00
- 3 months $55
- 6 months $66
- 12 months $88.00
- Bring a print out, or digital copy, of your QLD Fossicking Licence, which should be valid for the entire duration of the Fossicking Kit registration length. For example if your QLD Fossicking licence expires in 4 months time then the maximum period you can register for the Clermont Fossicking Kit is 3 months.
- Bring your Drivers Licence.
- Bring your Vehicle registration number.
These State Forest areas are under Grazing Lease & are multi-use lands. Cattle grazing, timber harvesting & Mining Lease activities take place at different times within Clermont GPAs. Wild dog baits may also be laid in the larger GPAs - warning signs are attached to designated entry gates. GPAs may also be closed due to extreme wet conditions to avoid damage to bush tracks.
To maintain access to the Clermont GPAs, it's important for our visiting prospectors to respect livestock, property & the environment.
- Observe any closure advice attached to designated entry gates
- Leave gates as you find them
- Avoid disturbing livestock
- Take your rubbish back to camp
- No fires are permitted
- Dogs are not permitted
- REFILL THOSE HOLES!
Please note no camping is permitted in Clermont GPAs. There are a variety of accommodation options for caravanners & short term visitors including caravan park van sites, cabins, motel & hotel rooms & self-contained cottage style private rentals.
Please check our Clermont GPA Status page for more information about current access to the GPAs.